Attacks in Paris: one year later

© Poongrapy 2016

Reminders of the facts

Friday 13 November 2015, is an ordinary day until around 21h 20. The first attack claimed by the terrorist organization Islamic State (known as «Daesh») will begin on the outskirts of the Stade de France , where a friendly France-Germany football match is played, attended by President François Hollande. Security personnel refusing to enter the stadium, three terrorists explode in what are the very first suicide bombings in France.

Three individuals then machine-gun terraces of cafés and restaurants in Paris, in several streets of the 10th and 11th arrondissements. Two of them flee, the third gets blown up.

The longest and deadliest attack took place in the Bataclan Theatre (also in the 11th arrondissement), where 1,500 people attended the American rock band Eagles of Death Metal and three other jihadists opened fire on the audience, before an assault by law enforcement ends it and kills the terrorists.

“This is an act of war committed by a terrorist army, Daesh,” the President of the Republic said on the night of the attacks. The official toll of the victims is 130 dead and 413 wounded hospitalized, 99 of them in an absolute emergency.

The scale of the event is such that the government declares a state of emergency: the police carry out numerous checks throughout the country to track down fugitive criminals and prevent future attacks, while the President of the Republic meets in turn with the great world leaders in order to set up an expanded coalition to «destroy Daesh» in its strongholds of Syria and Iraq.

The only survivor of the commando group responsible for these attacks, Salah Abdeslam, was captured alive by the Belgian police in Molenbeek on 18 March 2016, after four months of flight.

This morning, a year after the events, a series of commemorations took place at the various locations of the attacks in the presence of political figures. They unveiled commemorative plaques to remember his innocent victims and paid tribute to them.Many people, not necessarily close to the victims, came to pray under very high security.

A resident testifies a year later. We thought it was only here. Even a year later, I still can’t find sleep» confit-il à une journaliste de France Télévision ce matin devant l’une des terrasses prise pour cible le soir du vendredi 13 novembre 2015 vers 21h40. You only see the people on the ground, but underneath them, you see what? A pool of blood. These people had come to relax. Staying for a coffee, relaxing, it was a Friday night, to live,” he concluded.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.